april 2024 Events
Rooftop Productions presents Rumors by Neil Simon. Join us for auditions for Neil Simon's hilarious and fast-paced comedy, Rumors! This witty and wacky play revolves around the chaotic events that ensue
Rooftop Productions presents Rumors by Neil Simon.
Join us for auditions for Neil Simon’s hilarious and fast-paced comedy, Rumors! This witty and wacky play revolves around the chaotic events that ensue when four couples gather for a dinner party at a New York City townhouse.
Set in the 1980s, Rumors begins with a prestigious couple, Charlie and Myra Brock, hosting a celebration for their wedding anniversary. However, just moments before the guests arrive, they discover that Charlie has been shot, and Myra is missing. As the couples arrive one by one, they are met with a house in disarray, confused servants, and no explanation for what has happened. Panic ensues as they attempt to keep the situation under control, concocting increasingly elaborate lies to shield their friends and themselves from scandal.
As the evening progresses, misunderstandings intensify, miscommunications run amok, and hilarious antics unfold. From mistaken identities to eavesdropping and slapstick comedy, Rumors keeps the audience on the edge of their seats, constantly surprising and delighting with its frenetic pace and clever wordplay.
We are seeking a diverse cast of talented actors to bring the colorful characters of Rumors to life.
The cast includes:
– Ken Gorman: A successful lawyer. Wealthy, but by no means pretentious. Takes charge of the situation.
– Chris Gorman: Ken’s neurotic and high-strung wife who tends to overreact to every situation. Frantically tries to maintain normalcy at the party. Has recently quit smoking, which drives her to drink a bit more.
– Lenny Ganz: Ken’s best friend and a charismatic yet blunt attorney. A wealthy accountant, distraught over the recent destruction over his new car. Intolerant of the gossipy-lifestyle that he is often involved in.
– Claire Ganz: Lenny’s beautiful wife. Very concerned with appearances (hers and others’). Likes to gossip.
– Ernie Cusack: A psychologist with a dry sense of humor. Loves his wife very much. Tries to be as helpful as possible cooking the evening’s dinner.
– Cookie Cusack: Ernie’s wife, eccentric and fond of cooking. Suffers from extreme back spasms. Loves her husband very much. A bit absent-minded at times.
– Glenn Cooper: A hot-tempered politician with a secret past. Struggles with placating his wife, who is convinced he is having an affair (which he may or may not be).
– Cassie Cooper: Glenn’s trophy wife, glamorous but insecure. Quick to anger. Must rub her quartz crystal to calm herself down.
Officer Welch: Typical in-charge, no-nonsense police officer. “Just the facts”. Wants to wrap up the case and get home.
Officer Pudney: New to the job, more modern in approach. Sarcastic and funny. Enjoys her job but does get exasperated with the obvious lying.
Rumors is a whirlwind of laughter and chaotic situations, with dialogue that requires impeccable comedic timing. We are looking for actors who can bring out the hilarious nuances of Neil Simon’s writing while maintaining a sincere and genuine portrayal of their characters. This play offers plenty of opportunities for physical comedy, quick exchanges of witty banter, and over-the-top comedic moments.
Prepare a comedic monologue that showcases your ability to deliver sharp and witty dialogue. (Memorization is preferred, but not mandatory) You may also be asked to read sides from the script during the audition.
Don’t miss your chance to be part of an uproarious and side-splitting production of Neil Simon’s “Rumors”! We look forward to seeing your audition and unleashing the laughter on stage!
Audition Dates: Tuesday and Thursday, April 9 and 11 from 7 – 9:30 pm
Callbacks: Saturday, April 13 at 2 pm. Be prepared to read sides from the script.
Audition and Performance Location: Wind River Chimes Theater at the ARTfactory.
Performances: Friday & Saturdays, June 14, 15, 21, 22 at 7:30 pm and Sundays, June 16 and 23 at 2 pm
Rehearsals: Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays from 7 – 9:30 p.m. and some Saturdays beginning as we get closer to production dates. Rehearsals will be held at the ARTfactory in the Wind River Chimes Theater.
Director: Charlynn Mills
(Tuesday) 7:00 pm - 9:30 pm
9419 Battle Street